Bus Rules and Eligibility
Our goal is for all students to have a safe and enjoyable school year. To help make that happen, students are expected to conduct themselves properly while riding on a school bus. Transportation privileges may be revoked or suspended if a student becomes uncooperative, unruly/distracting, or disrespectful towards any school employee or another student. While on the school bus, all school rules and policies apply. Following the rules listed below will help ensure continued service and contribution to a safe and pleasant ride to school and back home.
1. Students must comply with the authority of the driver. They are not to argue or be disrespectful in any way. Students are to be in their assigned seat and remain seated while the bus is in motion.
2. Students should not make any type of distracting noise. Shouting, loud talking, loud laughing, and the playing of band instruments on the bus are not allowed. Radios or other electronic devices are not allowed to be played, unless headphones are used and permission has been given from the driver. Cell phones must be turned off or the ring on silent. Calls may not be placed nor taken while on the bus. However, texting may be allowed if it is kept to the individual and is not disruptive to the driver or other passengers.
3. Food, candy, drinks, or tobacco products are not allowed on the bus or at the bus stop. Do not litter, harass, trespass, vandalize, or damage any property (including the bus) while on the bus or at the bus stop. Bus stops may be moved or eliminated at any time, especially if severe or frequent problems occur at that stop.
4. Students should load and ride in an orderly manner. Specifically, do not shove, shout, push, fight, spit, litter, throw objects, or use obscene language or inappropriate gestures; keep arms, hands, and head inside the bus at all times. Do not enter or exit the bus through the emergency exits unless there is an actual emergency or unless you are directed to do so by the driver.
5. Passengers who interfere with the safe and orderly operation of the bus will have their transportation privileges suspended. Depending on the severity of the infraction, warnings may or may not be given. If requested by the driver or aide, students have to give their correct name or produce their ID card. Students must ride only their assigned bus. Guest riders may be allowed, but the guest must have a parent's note in order to ride home with a registered passenger. The bus driver has the discretion to approve or deny any guest passenger privileges for any reason. It is recommended that guest passengers obtain the driver's permission in advance.
6. Students should be at their bus stop at least ten minutes before the scheduled pick-up time. Students should stand back at least 10 feet from the curb/stop and should not approach the bus until it has come to a complete stop. The driver will open the door and signal the students to enter when appropriate. Do not chase a bus if you miss a pick-up. The driver cannot make a special stop once the doors have been closed and the bus is moving.
7. After exiting the bus, the students should remain visible to the driver as they cross the street or walk away from the bus. If a student needs to cross the street, they should go to a point at least ten feet in front of the bus and wait for the driver to signal them to cross. Students should not cross behind the bus nor walk along the side of the bus. It is very dangerous. If an object is dropped in front of, under, or behind the bus; do not attempt to retrieve the object. Signal the driver about the problem, wait for the bus to leave, and wait until traffic is clear before getting the object. Never crawl under the bus or bend down in front of the bus for any reason.
In general, FSPS bus drivers have the same authority over bus passengers that a teacher has over students in the classroom. Bus drivers expect students to behave the same or better than they do in the classroom due to the safety issues with transporting children. The driver will review these general rules, along with any additional rules specific to that bus, with the passengers.
FSPS Transportation Department
Phone: 479-785-2501 ext 91346 or ext 91356