Ramsey English Department
7TH GRADE ESSENTIAL SKILLS/CONCEPTS
Upon leaving 7th grade, a student will possess the following skills and/or understand the following concepts. This is not to suggest that the following is all that a student will be capable of, but instead, that these skills and concepts have been points of particular emphasis. As such, a level of proficiency in these skills and concepts should exist.
- Write a five-paragraph essay
- Identify the following in reading selections:
- Utilize the following comprehension strategies:
- Understand the purposes of reading and writing
- Ability to summarize
- Understand and identify the following:
- Identify genres
- Identify types of sentences – simple, compound, and complex
- Utilize correct capitalization and punctuation
- Identify the parts of speech
- Identify sentence patterns
8TH GRADE ESSENTIAL SKILLS/CONCEPTS
Upon leaving 8th grade, a student will possess the following skills and/or understand the following concepts. This is not to suggest that the following is all that a student will be capable of, but instead, that these skills and concepts have been points of particular emphasis. As such, a level of proficiency in these skills and concepts should exist.
- Identify the parts of speech.
- Identify the parts of a sentence and correct word order.
- Identify all types of phrases.
- Edit for the following: grammar, spelling, punctuation, and purposeful vocabulary.
- Create the four types of writing: narrative, persuasive, descriptive, and expository.
- Write a research report with a thesis, using several sources.
- Identify and create a variety of poetic devices including simile, metaphor, personification, alliteration, assonance, onomatopoeia, analogy, and hyperbole.
- Utilize the following prewriting strategies: formal outlining, graphic organizers, cluster mapping, and note taking.
- Utilize anecdotes, quotes, flashback, and time transitions.
- Determine word meaning using roots, affixes, context, structure, denotations, and connotations.
- Identify words from other cultures.
- Infer a character’s role, development of plot and theme, and author’s intent.
- Identify the elements of fiction, including plot, subplot, and climax.
- Utilize, explain, and recognize the following comprehension strategies:
determining important details/ideas
- Read and recognize a variety of genres, including short stories, essays, plays, novels, and poetry.